Please refer to our schools Attendance Policy for full information regarding our expectations on lateness and attendance. If your child is going to be absent from school you need to contact the school, via the school answer phone available 24/7, before 8.50am on the first day of absence. Below are some key points from our attendance policy.
As most of you are aware attendance is a key focus in my School Improvement Plan as in December 2017, at our last Ofsted Inspection, it was stated that the school must ensure ‘pupils attend school more regularly and understand the importance of regular attendance’. In a response to this report, a new Attendance Policy was written, in line with HCC Guidance, which initiated Fixed Penalty Notices.
In this Policy it states that warning letters are sent after 2 sessions of unauthorised absence. A session is either a morning or an afternoon, i.e. one day is made up of 2 sessions. There are several reasons for an unauthorised absence:
- Arriving before 9am – Between 8.50am and 9am children are given an ‘L’ late code. This is not recorded as unauthorised.
- Arriving after 9 am. After 9am, children are given a ‘U’ unauthorised absence code for the morning session. Oversleeping, traffic issues (with the exception of major incidents that affect all drivers) or distance to school are not acceptable reasons for being late after 9am.
- No contact- If no message is received on the school absence line (which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or through the school office before 8.50am then the absence for that session is recorded as unauthorised. All messages left on the school answer phone are recorded and documented by the office staff. The office staff will contact you, in accordance with our Safeguarding Policy, during the morning, to ask the reason for absence, however, this will still be recorded as unauthorised as no parental contact was made before 8.50am.
- Current level of absence- If a child already has a lower than 96% attendance and has received additional letters from us regarding this, the school will not authorise any further absence without medical proof.
- Term time holiday- As Headteacher I no longer have the authority to authorise term time holiday and this will be recorded as unauthorised. Special requests for an absence must be made in writing, at least 3 weeks before the requested time off, which I will consider in accordance with our Policy.
If you require a hard copy of the schools Attendance Policy please order one from the School Office.