Prepare a debate about home learning. Consider the following statement:
Children should not have to do school work while they’re not at school.
- Write a list of points that support the statement above.
- Write a list of points that can be used as a counter argument to the statement.
- Create a word bank of useful conjunctions and sentence starters, for example:
therefore, however, as a result of, on the other hand, consequently, for this reason, in
addition, firstly, finally etc.
Extension Ideas (optional choose one):
- Talk through the debate with somebody else. You could take one side of the argument each. Ask each other lots of questions!
- Write your side of the argument. Try and persuade someone else to agree with you. You could write it as a letter and send it to your local MP.
- Write a balanced argument explaining both sides of the argument.
- Write some for and against statements for another issue that interests you.